Friday, October 26, 2007

Mushroom Bisque

A few years ago Panera Bread had a mushroom Bisque that I just loved. There Mushroom bisque has changed slightly since then but I still love it. I set out to make that soup and I created a wonderful bisque that was very close. the was before I had a blog and I never put the recipe to writing and now I can not remember how I made it. The following recipe is good but is not even close to the one that I created over 2 years ago.



1 medium onion thinly sliced
2 pounds button mushrooms, sliced
2 T olive oil
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper

In a large soup pot add the oil and slowly caramelize the onions and mushrooms cooking about 20 minutes. , stirring periodically.

Add the stock and cook for a few minutes season to taste add the cream and heat through.

While writing this post I got to thinking that I did type this recipe before on babyfit.com and after about 40 minutes of searching I found one of my very first attempts at the soup...

1 Medium onion, finely chopped
2 T. Butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 -2 pound Mushrooms, Sliced
3 T. Flour
1/3 C. White Wine
4 C. water or chicken stock/broth (I used water)
2/3 C. Cream
1 T. Sour Cream
2 bouillon cubes (do not need if used stock)
2 dashes worcestershire sauce
salt and Pepper to taste

Sauté onions in butter for a few minutes add the Mushrooms and garlic and continue sautéing for about 10 minutes. Add flour and cook long enough to cook raw taste out of it (about a minute). Add the wine, water (stock, seasonings and cook for another 10 minutes. Lower heat add cream and sour cream and heat through. Serve.

4 comments:

Katie Zeller said...

Definitely the one with the wine! I think wine adds so much flavor and enhance other flavors so well!

Love the pictures of the forest foraging!

Shayne said...

Thank you Katie, I always have so much fun when we all go hiking and foraging in the forest.

I love adding wine to things I make. You are so right it adds the next dimension of flavor and it is wonderful with mushrooms.

winedeb said...

Lovely sounding and looking fall soup! Did you use the mushrooms from your outting?

Shayne said...

I did use some but I only found a few coral mushrooms. it froze the night before so I was out of luck for the most part.